Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Patch

After reading chapter 7, our group was less perplexed about how to submit the fix to the bug ticket we submitted. The .patch file creation was outlined very nicely in the text. We created our patch file by using the same command, only changing the names of the involved files.

Our completed Patch Report is now on the A-Team's wiki page.

This was an interesting learning experience. The fix for the bug was so small and trivial, yet the process for submitting this fix was fairly complicated. The turnaround for our small patch was very fast; I can imagine large submissions taking much longer due to reviews needed and testing required.

As a side note, I now have my Motorola Atrix a.k.a. "The World's Most Powerful Smartphone." I've already rooted the device and enabled sideloading, but it seems as though the bootloader is signed; this means that as of right now users cannot load custom ROMs to really customize things. This is the first smartphone I've owned since the PDA phone I had about 7 years ago. I'm enjoying the capabilities of the phone and the MotoBlur interface will have to suffice for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment