Thursday, February 3, 2011

Freeciv

I had a rough time with the Freeciv assignment; it ended up breaking my dual boot Ubuntu installation. Here is the story:

I began to follow the instructions in the INSTALL file as directed by Chapter 5. I had already checked out the source with svn, and was installing dependencies. I got to the "Prerequisites for the Gtk+ 2.0 client." I checked for 'pkg-config' in the Synaptic Package Manager and noticed it was already installed. Moving on to the Glib library, I found that I didn't have it installed. I downloaded Glib from the ftp link and installed it. Then I checked for Atk, found I didn't have it installed, and downloaded it from an ftp link as well. When I tried to install Atk, it complained that it asked something for the version of Glib and that it returned version 2.6.6, but it when it actually checked the files, it found version 2.26. After this message, it said I should try ldconfig. I tried running that, it complained about permissions, so then I ran sudo ldconfig. It seemed to work, but then I noticed that anything I tried to open in the GUI would not open. I clicked to restart Ubuntu, but nothing happened. So, I powered off the computer and turned it back on. Ubuntu would not boot; it got stuck on the loading screen.

I had to reinstall Ubuntu. Consequentially, I had to reinstall updates and rebuild the Sugar project. I decided I wouldn't take any more chances with my dual boot setup of Ubuntu, and booted up Ubuntu in my Windows virtual box. I decided to skip the dependencies steps. I initially tried ./configure, but that didn't work. I noticed there was no configure file. After doing some reading in the Install file, I found that I had to run ./autogen.sh. Then I ran make, and then sudo make install. The program was installed with no problems, and it runs smoothly.

I think the moral of the story here is to not always follow instructions.

No comments:

Post a Comment