Thursday, January 27, 2011

Subversion

So I've found out that clicking on the URL for the repository and logging on through our web browser allows us to browse the contents of the repository, but we cannot add to it or make changes.

I've since installed rapidsvn using the following command in my Ubuntu terminal:
sudo apt-get install rapidsvn

I like the gui rapidsvn provides. It is easy to navigate and I am able to use many of the same idioms I learned over time from windows explorer. For instance, I was able to right click inside of a directory to access 'Make directory' which is exactly like 'New Folder' in most operating systems. I was also able to drag a file directly from my Ubuntu file explorer into the RapidSVN window which caused a file 'import.' I will note though that the performance is considerably slower than I expected it to be; FTP clients such as Filezilla seem to work faster. I guess the whole version control idea requires plenty to be executed behind the scenes. I'll continue to play with rapidsvn and reference the readings until it's time to leave for class.

No comments:

Post a Comment